Garnishing Wages To Enforce A Money Judgment

If your judgment debtor is a wage earner, most states allow wage garnishments as a remedy to satisfy your judgment. Typically you are allowed to attach up to 25% of the debtor's wages.

In most cases you'll find it easier to locate a debtor's place of employment as opposed to finding their bank accounts or other monetary assets.

The following criteria must be met in order to garnish a judgment debtor's wages:

The debtor must receive a regular wage and not be self employed.
The debtor's wage must be above poverty level.
No other wage garnishments may be in effect, unless you are garnishing the debtor for child or alimony support.
The debtor does not file for bankruptcy, claim hardship, or terminate his employment.

The execution of a wage garnishment is similar to a bank levy. The levying officer serves the debtor's employer with a writ of garnishment. The employer then begins withholding 25% of the debtor's wages and forwards the money to the court. The court then sends you a check in the mail.


All the best,

Mike O'Connor
Judgment Recovery Training

(Try some more free online judgment recovery training, take our free judgment recovery training course, or when you're ready for serious judgment recovery instruction, try How To Make A Financial Killing In The Judgment Recovery Business.)


Judgment Recovery | Frequently Asked Questions | More Articles

Copyright American Judgment Recovery Service. You may reproduce this article on your site or use it in your newsletter if left exactly intact with all links, credit information, and this notice.  Anything from the end of this copyright notice to the title of the article must be included intact. The links or content may not be changed or altered in any way without permission from American Judgment Recovery Service.

Get FREE Training - $97.00 Value!
Discover The Truth About Judgment Recovery!

Sign Up For the FREE Trial Version Of Of How To Make A Financial Killing In The Judgment Recovery Business!

First Name
Email Address

 Subscribe before  and you will be given immediate access to download my new free report: How To Transform Uncollected Money Judgments Into Cold Hard Cash!